Thomas R. Emmerling
CPA, CFP, CGMA
Dopkins Wealth Management, LLC
At a glance
As Managing Partner for Dopkins & Company, LLP, and Managing Member for Dopkins Wealth Management, LLC*, Tom Emmerling has the overall responsibility for the operation and vision of each firm, working to continuously develop strategies to improve business processes and suites of services. Each and every day, Tom lives the principles of Dopkins Core Values: a “One Firm” approach that aligns a client-centered business practice with a passion about people, while striving to reach the highest level of professional standards, ethics and integrity.
Capitalizing on his 40 years of experience as a certified public accountant and certified financial planner, Tom helps clients solve complex financial issues. He routinely serves as a liaison in bringing together Dopkins members from across service areas to collaborate on providing big-picture solutions to help clients build, protect and transfer wealth. He joined Dopkins upon graduation and was admitted to partnership in 1980.
Principal areas of expertise
- Business and personal financial planning
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Privately-held companies
- Succession Planning & Family Owned Business
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Financial Planner
- Chartered Global Management Accountant
Tom serves as the Treasurer for the Buffalo Niagara Partnership (BNP), a privately-funded, economic development organization and the largest regional chamber of commerce in Western New York. The BNP is comprised of some of the most established regional employers, representing a quarter of a million member employees.
He is also a member of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA) and has held several leadership positions for the Buffalo chapter, including President, Director, and Chair of both the Accounting Principles & Auditing Standards and Administration of Accounting Practices Committees.
A member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Tom currently serves as an editorial advisor for the Journal of Accountancy and has previously served as an instructor for the Foundation for Accounting Education.
- B.S. in Accounting, cum laude, Canisius College
Tom’s commitment to Canisius College has remained steadfast throughout his career. A past-recipient of College’s LaSalle Medal, Outstanding Alumnus Award and Outstanding Accountant of the Year Award, Tom has served in a leadership capacity for the College in many ways, including:
- Trustee, Board of Directors
- Past Chair, Council on Accountancy
- Member and Past Chair, Board of Regents
- Past Chair, Student Recruiting Committee
- Past Chair, Student Experience Committee
- Former Executive Committee Member
- Honorary Member, Beta Gamma Sigma
- Member, DiGamma Honor Society
- Member, Leadership Society
Awards & Achievements
- Listed, Power 250, published by Business First of Buffalo (2022)
- Recipient, Canisius College LaSalle Medal. The LaSalle Medal is presented at the undergraduate commencement ceremony to outstanding alumni who have made substantial contributions to advance the interests of the College (Presented May 2021)
- Listed, Who’s Who in Banking and Finance, published by Business First of Buffalo
- Graduate, Leadership Buffalo
- Recipient, Canisius College Outstanding Accountant of the Year in Western New York (2004)
- Recipient, Canisius College Outstanding Alumnus Award, (1994)
- Canisius College LaSalle Medal presentation
- Buffalo Homecoming 2020 (Day 2), presented by Business First of Buffalo
- Business First of Buffalo Family Business Awards
- Thomas Emmerling Named to Business First of Buffalo’s “Power 250” (February 2022)
- Dopkins is making headlines in NorthEast Dairy Magazine (December 2020)
- Dopkins Reports Client Satisfaction Survey Results (October 2017)
- Dopkins & Company Announces New Website Launch (September 2017)
- Alliances strengthen accounting firms (Business First of Buffalo, April 2017)
- Dopkins & Co. now part of national CPA alliance (Business First of Buffalo, February 2017)
* Dopkins Wealth Management, LLC is a registered investment advisor owned by the partners of Dopkins & Company, LLP.