Thomas R. Emmerling
Dopkins Wealth Management, LLC
At a glance
As the Managing Partner of Dopkins & Company, LLP, Tom Emmerling has the overall responsibility for the operation and vision of the firm. Capitalizing on his 40 years of experience as a certified public accountant and certified financial planner, he works to continuously develop strategies to improve the firm’s processes and suite of services. Each and every day, Tom lives the principles of Dopkins Core Values: a “One Firm” approach that aligns a client-centered business practice with a passion about people, while striving to reach the highest level of professional standards, ethics and integrity.
Upholding Dopkins’ commitment to comprehensive service, Tom frequently consults with clients while acting as liaison with other professionals who comprise the client’s professional wealth management team. He joined Dopkins upon graduation and was admitted to partnership in 1980.
Principal areas of expertise
- Business and personal financial planning
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Privately-held companies
- Succession Planning & Family Owned Business
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Financial Planner
Tom serves as the Treasurer for the Buffalo Niagara Partnership (BNP), a privately-funded, economic development organization and the largest regional chamber of commerce in Western New York. The BNP is comprised of some of the most established regional employers, representing a quarter of a million member employees.
He is also a member of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA) and has held several leadership positions for the Buffalo chapter, including President, Director, and Chair of both the Accounting Principles & Auditing Standards and Administration of Accounting Practices Committees.
A member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Tom currently serves as an editorial advisor for the Journal of Accountancy and has previously served as an instructor for Foundation for Accounting Education.
- B.S. in Accounting, cum laude, Canisius College
Tom’s commitment to Canisius College has remained steadfast throughout his career. A past-recipient of both the College’s Outstanding Alumnus Award and Outstanding Accountant of the Year Award, Tom has served in a leadership capacity for the College in many ways, including:
- Trustee, Board of Directors
- Past Chair, Council on Accountancy
- Member and Past Chair, Board of Regents
- Past Chair, Student Recruiting Committee
- Past Chair, Student Experience Committee
- Former Executive Committee Member
- Honorary Member, Beta Gamma Sigma
- Member, DiGamma Honor Society
- Member, Leadership Society
Awards & Achievements
- Listed, Who’s Who in Banking and Finance, published by Business First of Buffalo
- Dopkins Reports Client Satisfaction Survey Results (October 2017)
- Dopkins & Company Announces New Website Launch (September 2017)
- Alliances strengthen accounting firms (Business First of Buffalo, April 2017)
- Dopkins & Co. now part of national CPA alliance (Business First of Buffalo, February 2017)