Your Journey to Success Begins Here.
Dopkins & Company, LLP believes that a meaningful internship can be an important step in a rewarding career. For those eager to gain hands-on experience and make a difference with clients, we invite you to apply for The Dopkins Internship (TDI).
Dopkins offers TDI through the Assurance Services (audit) department. TDI provides an excellent way for you to participate in actual audit engagements and meet a variety of professionals both internally and externally. Interns work directly with Dopkins colleagues and client personnel gathering data and summarizing results. TDI yields insights for the student as you start your career as well as providing an inside look at the career path opportunities in a professional services firm.
How is TDI Different?
We do not do the same thing every day, neither do our interns. After several years in the classroom, we understand your readiness to jump in and experience the “real life” of a CPA in public accounting. No mindless paper shuffling here, our internship program is designed to simulate the entry-level experience. Consider the following:
- Interns will be immersed in Dopkins’ team based and client focused culture. You will always have access to colleagues ready to assist you with any questions you may have and rub elbows with professionals from all management levels and from all departments.
- At Dopkins, our mantra is “Achieving results… people to people.” Those people are our clients as well as those who make their career here. Consequently, our internship experience is intended to show why we are so passionate about our profession and inspire interns to feel the same about his/her goals and personal and professional development.
- As one of the largest local independent firms in the region, interns are exposed to a variety of industries of varying sizes, requiring expertise of varying levels.
- You’ll have access to national firm resources and training.
- Our culture of growth—expanding opportunities, expanding markets—you choose your direction following your interests and strengths.
- You’ll know how you’re doing with formal and informal feedback and documentation.
- You will be encouraged to be part of the Dopkins One Firm Experience by partaking in our community support activities and social events.
What Interns Can Expect in General
- Use technology and national firm developed tools
- Participate in formalized training programs
- Gain on-the-job training by working in a dynamic, engaging environment as part of a team
- Treatment as a full-fledged team member: contribute to meetings involving client matters
What to Expect on the Job — Internship Experience Summary
You’ll experience firsthand the life of an associate in the public accounting world according to the Assurance Services group at Dopkins. The Associate role is one typically one of learning and applying technical skills and working as part of a team.
You will have the opportunity to gain an understanding of the business by working on various stages of the audit, which may include fieldwork in the areas of compliance testing, cash, accounts receivable, inventories, fixed assets, accounts payable and accruals. Typical responsibilities may include:
- Actively involved in performing audits and consulting work on site at our clients’ offices— fear not, you’ll be under close supervision/coaching from our team.
- Assisting in the preparation of financial statements and applying areas of GAAP.
- Speaking to key client personnel to obtain an understanding of business operations, processes and functions
- Communicating with the clients’ customers, creditors, banks and related parties concerning audit issues
- Developing technical skills both on the job and through formal learning channels.
- Working as an effective an Associate to complete project components and assignment tasks on budget.
- Building working relationships at peer client level and seek to gain knowledge of client businesses.
- Identifying task issues as well as task progress in a timely and organized manner and effectively document work.
Building strong team relationship skills.
- Gaining an understanding of the Dopkins culture and how exactly we are different from other CPA firms.
Dopkins is not the place for just anybody. Applicants must:
- Be entering your last year in completing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting
- Possess strong communication and computer skills
- Be team players who are motivated to work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate a desire to be client-focused
- Be of the right mind-set. Believing “what you can measure you can manage,” we’ll even give you a quick assessment to be sure.
We Suspect You Have Other Questions
Dopkins & Company, LLP, one of the largest locally owned certified public accounting and consulting firms in the Buffalo-Niagara region, is located at 200 International Drive outside Buffalo, NY in Williamsville. We offer comprehensive accounting, auditing and tax services, as well as computer, wealth management and health care consulting, pension plan administration and collateral examinations.
We have defined our culture as “The Dopkins One Firm Experience” and celebrate it through a recognition program whereby each of our team members is encouraged to document, in narrative form, behaviors demonstrated by their colleagues that exemplify our values—that’s what makes Dopkins different. We respect our people, we value our clients and we serve them with excellence and integrity.
Dopkins is an equal opportunity employer and, in accordance with all applicable laws, prohibits discrimination against applicants and employees based on race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics or genetic information, or any other category protected by law.