Gregory J. Urban
Tax Advisory Group
At a glance
Greg’s main focus is on providing tax consulting, compliance and valuation services to privately held businesses and their owners.
He has extensive experience advising clients on complex tax compliance issues, including tax credit optimization, mergers and acquisitions. In addition, Greg performs and consults on a variety of business valuation engagements, including valuations relating to transfer tax issues and purchase price allocation issues. Greg also represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and various state taxation departments.
Prior to joining Dopkins in 2003, Greg worked in a similar capacity with a Big Four, international tax and accounting firm and in a local firm tax department for a total of nine years.
Principal areas of expertise
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Privately held companies
- Research and Development (R&D)
- Tax credit optimization
- Valuations relating to transfer tax issues
- Valuations relating to purchase price allocation issues
- Transaction Advisory Services
- Revenue Recognition Standard Implementation Services
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- New York Society of Certified Public Accountants
- B.S. in Accounting, Canisius College
- Master of Science in Taxation (MST), Canisius College
- What’s new for Businesses under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- What’s new for Individual Taxpayers? An update on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Panelist, How Opportunity Zones Unlock Development Potential in the Buffalo Niagara Region, Buffalo Niagara Partnership Advisory Council (March 2019)
- Presenter, Federal Personal Tax Update, Niagara Chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants 2018 Tax Seminar (December 2018)
- Co-Presenter, Pass Through Entities, Presented to the NYSSCPA Buffalo Chapter and the Buffalo Niagara Chapter of the Tax Executives Institute (November 2018)
- Co-Presenter, Tax Reform and Mergers & Acquisitions, 65th Annual Tax Institute (November 2018)
- Presenter, How will the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act effect you and your clients? Presenter to the Estate Analysts of WNY (October 2018)
- Speaker, How will the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act affect you and your clients? Presented by the Commercial Finance Association (February 2018)
In 2018, Greg filmed a series of video presentations for Thomson Reuters Experts Forum CPE Network. The Forum is a video news-style format subscription featuring in-depth interviews with industry experts. Greg’s presentation was also filmed with Professor Ian J. Redpath, JD, LLM, Canisius College.