Craig R. Cirbus
Senior Investment Advisor
Dopkins Wealth Management, LLC
At a glance
Craig manages the wealth of many high net worth individual and business clients of the firm. Additionally, he helps advise corporate clients on their ERISA retirement plans. He has provided his clients with strategic wealth management solutions over the past three decades. Prior to joining Dopkins Wealth Management in 2004, Craig served as a licensed Financial Advisor in the Buffalo offices of Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith.
After graduating from The University at Buffalo, Craig’s career began as a Civil Engineer with Hatch Associates, Inc. in Buffalo during the design and construction of the rapid transit system downtown. He eventually left his engineering career, following a passion to coach college football. He worked for 11 years as a football coach at Penn State University under legendary head coach, Joe Paterno. In 1995, after an undefeated Rose Bowl championship season, he was asked to return to his alma mater, UB, as their head coach and lead their football program into Division I-A competition. Craig coached several players that went on to successful careers in the National Football League. While Head Football Coach at The University at Buffalo, Craig had several players drafted into the NFL. Additionally, many of Craig’s colleagues and former student/athletes are now active in college and NFL coaching.
After his successful coaching career, Craig re-focused his energies into the science of investing. A passionate advocate of applying evidence-based research into portfolio design and construction, Craig specializes in assisting successful business owners, families, and corporate entities in managing their wealth and achieving their short and long-term financial goals.
- Named National Independent Coach of the Year in 1996 and his UB Football team was also recognized by the NCAA for their graduation rates vs. peer universities
Recipient of the George Thorn Award by The UB Alumni Association in 1997
Craig has been an active volunteer within the Western New York community. He is a past member of the University at Buffalo Alumni Advisory Board, currently sits on the Brothers of Mercy Foundation Advisory Board as well as an active member of the St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute Board’s Investment Committee. Craig also is a board member of Cross Training Football (CTF), a faith based organization committed to teaching character values to athletes and coaches throughout high schools in Western New York. Craig also currently serves as a member of the Corporate Appeal Team for Catholic Charities of Buffalo.
- B.S. in Civil Engineering from State University of New York at Buffalo
Craig is married (Peggy Bill) and they have three children and one grandchild. Tom, graduated from Liberty University (2013) with a dual degree in Finance and Accounting. He is working as an Investment Banker with Wells Fargo Securities in New York City. Kelly graduated from Baldwin Wallace University (2015) in Berea, OH and is working for the department of athletics at Duke University as the Head Coach of their Dance Team within the department of athletics and Megan graduated from Liberty University (2016) in Virginia and is employed as a social media and marketing coordinator for an online business venture, Dormco.com.
- Co-Presenter, Retirement Planning, Social Security, and Advanced Medicare Planning from a Client’s Prospective, 66th Annual Tax Institute (November 2019)
- Understanding the facts in the debt ceiling debate
- Rising interest payments, deficits and the debt ceiling crisis
- End of an era? Bond market selloff prompts a new regime
- Multigenerational wealth planning: A guide to do’s and don’ts
- Updated: Relief for Retirement Account Owners
- Why Should You Diversify?
- The Toll of New Trade Tensions and Your Portfolio
- WEALTH MANAGEMENT: An Inside Look at the New Fiduciary Rule