Alexander J. Vandenbergh
Assurance Services Group
A member of the Firm’s Assurance Services Group, Alec performs audit and review services, with special interest in serving the complex business needs of health and human services clients. In addition, he also plays a key role in our employee benefit plan practice as well as our outsourced accounting services practice. He is also a key member of the department’s new hire orientation team. He began his career with Dopkins & Company, LLP in 2018 upon graduation.
- B.A., All College Honors, Canisius College
- M.B.A., Professional Accounting, Canisius College
- Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Study Abroad Program and Intensive Portuguese Language Program in Porto Alegre, Brazil
- Recipient of multiple scholarship awards for academic achievements and a Gilman Scholarship for international study.
- Certified Public Accountant
Principal areas of expertise
- Financial statement audits and reviews
- Consolidated Fiscal Report (CFR) examinations
- Single Audits
- Employee Benefit Plans
- Client Accounting & Advisory Solution
Prior to obtaining his M.B.A. and joining Dopkins, Alec served a multi-year term with a local charter school in the AmeriCorps VISTA program. He began his career at the school as a resource developer, where he was instrumental in various program, development, and community partnership initiatives, with a particular focus in building supports for students of immigrant and refugee backgrounds. He stayed on with the school after his AmeriCorps service to assist with bookkeeping and other special projects.
During his time at Canisius, he also completed internships in government and with a local refugee resettlement agency.
- Treasurer, Mental Health Advocates of Western New York (June 2022 – Present)
- Member, NYS Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA)
Awards & Achievements
Alec is a member of the Amherst Chamber of Commerce Emerging Business Leaders Class of 2024. The Emerging Business Leaders is a group developed by the Amherst Chamber of Commerce focused on developing the next generation of leaders in Western New York through a year-long program consisting of networking and leadership skills development.
In 2023, Alec took part in RSM’s Breakthrough Leaders Institute. A leadership program specifically designed to enhance the develop of new managers in the areas of team leadership and high-quality client service.