Assurance Services Group
At a glance
Nick is the Leader of Dopkins Healthcare and Not-for-Profit Practices. He provides assurance and consulting services to clients from a diverse mix of industries, including health care providers, hospitals, health and life insurance, charities and tax exempt organizations, manufacturing and financial services.
Nick joined Dopkins in 2017 after a sixteen-year career at Deloitte & Touche, LLP, most recently serving as a Specialist Leader in their Healthcare and Life Sciences Audit Practice. While serving a variety of clients in multiple industries, Nick’s practice focused on health care – directly managing the audit requirements of several regional health providers and managed care insurers. Nick was a national consultation resource for healthcare accounting developments and regulatory matters. He was also named as a Fellow to the Firm’s Healthcare Industry Professional Practice Group as a recognized technical expert in healthcare regulatory accounting. While serving in that capacity, he developed and taught curriculum on technical accounting matters and industry developments for audit staff and senior accountant colleagues. He routinely presented training on accounting statuary matters to over 300 participants.
He also led a firm initiative on alternative career and audit delivery models, which cumulated in a pilot project on Subject-Matter Specialist Audit Groups. In addition, he served as an engagement quality/technical reviewer for the Firm’s audit of a nationally-recognized Fortune 50 organization. Nick also remained committed to mentoring the next generation of leadership, receiving recognition for staff development and mentoring.
- Health Care
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Financial Services
- Development Stage Enterprises
Principal Areas of Expertise
- Statutory (NAIC) accounting for insurance companies
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Health Care Reform and Regulation
- Not-for-Profit Accounting
- Transaction Advisory Services
- Revenue Recognition Standard Implementation Services
- Lease Standard Implementation & Accounting Services
- Certified Public Accountant, Licensed in New York State and Pennsylvania
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, NYS Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA)
- B.S. in Accounting, magna cum laude, Canisius College
Awards & Achievements
- Honoree, “40 Under 40” by Business First of Buffalo (2010)
Community Service & Memberships
- Member, Board of Directors, Our Lady of Victory Charities (2021 – present)
- Member, Audit Committee of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Buffalo (2019 – present)
- Chairman, Board of Trustees, Saint Mary’s High School of Lancaster (2009-2012 and 2014 – Present). He has served as a member of the Board since 2003.
- Past-President, Board of Directors, Canisius College Alumni Association (2015-2016). He has served as a Board member since 2009.
- Current Member of the Finance Committee, FeedMore Western New York (2019 – present). In 2019, The Food Bank of WNY and Meals on Wheels for WNY joined efforts to become FeedMore WNY. The goal of FeedMore WNY lies in its name: to feed more Western New Yorkers of all ages for whom securing nutritious food is a challenge. Prior to the combination, Nick served as the Assistant Treasurer and Member of the Board of Directors, for Meals on Wheels of Western New York from 2007-2012.
- Presenter, The Impact of COVID-19 on Philanthropy: Navigating the Months Ahead, presented to the Western New York Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP WNY) (December 2021)
- Presenter, Finance Function Transformation in Today’s Health Care World and Health Care Today – Macro Trends, Regulation and Your Agency, presented to Financial Managers Association (FMA) of Rehab Agencies (May 2019)
- Presenter, Revenue Recognition and the Impact on NFP Entities, presented to New York State Society of CPAs Nonprofit Committee (May 2018)
- Presenter, Current Healthcare Environment and Regulatory Developments, presented to Financial Managers Association (FMA) of Rehab Agencies (May 2018)
News & Events
- Nicholas Fiume, CPA and James A. Krupinski, CPA Named Partners of Dopkins & Company, LLP
- Dopkins in NYC to Attend the Association for Corporate Growth’s 11th Annual Health Care Conference 2.28.19
- Nicholas Fiume, CPA joins Dopkins & Company
- Coronavirus Aid – Year End Reporting and Strategy for Healthcare
- What’s Your Year End Strategy for CARES Act Funding?
- Compliance Audit Requirements for Healthcare CARES Act Recipients
- Update on Healthcare Industry Relief
- Medicare Accelerated Payment Program Expanded During Covid-19 Pandemic
- Coronavirus Relief for Health Care Entities