Assurance Services Group
At a glance
Dopkins welcomed Nicholas Fiume to our Assurance Services Group in 2017. He provides assurance and consulting services to clients from a diverse mix of industries, including health care providers, hospitals, health and life insurance, charities and tax exempt organizations, manufacturing and financial services.
Nick joins Dopkins after a sixteen-year career at Deloitte & Touche, LLP, most recently serving as a Specialist Leader in their Healthcare and Life Sciences Audit Practice. While serving a variety of clients in multiple industries, Nick’s practice focused on health care – directly managing the audit requirements of several regional health providers and insurers. Nick was a national consultation resource for healthcare accounting developments and regulatory matters. He was also named as a Fellow to the Firm’s Healthcare Industry Professional Practice Group as a recognized technical expert in healthcare regulatory accounting. While serving in that capacity, he developed and taught curriculum for audit staff and senior accountant colleagues. He presented training on accounting statuary matters to over 300 participants.
He also led a firm initiative on alternative career and audit delivery models, which cumulated in a pilot project on Subject-Matter Specialist Audit Groups. In addition, he served as an engagement quality/technical reviewer for the Firm’s audit of a nationally-recognized Fortune 50 organization. Nick also remained committed to mentoring the next generation of leadership, receiving recognition for staff development and mentoring.
- Health Care
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Financial Services
- Development Stage Enterprises
Principal Areas of Expertise
- Statutory (NAIC) accounting for insurance companies
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Health Care Reform and Regulation
- Not-for-Profit Accounting
- Transaction Advisory Services
- Certified Public Accountant, Licensed in New York State and Pennsylvania
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, NYS Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA)
- B.S. in Accounting, magna cum laude, Canisius College
Awards & Achievements
- Honoree, “40 Under 40” by Business First of Buffalo (2010)
Community Service & Memberships
- Chairman, Board of Trustees, Saint Mary’s High School of Lancaster (2009-2012 and 2014 – Present). He has served as a member of the Board since 2003.
- Past-President, Board of Directors, Canisius College Alumni Association (2015-2016). He has served as a Board member since 2009.
- Current Member of the Finance Committee, Meals on Wheels of Western New York (Assistant Treasurer and Member of the Board of Directors, 2007-2012)