Robert J. Bauer
Tax Advisory Group
At a glance
Bob provides tax compliance, consulting and planning services for business and individual clients. He began his career in the tax department of a Big 4 international tax and accounting firm, and has gained over 20 years of tax accounting and consulting experience serving clients in both the private and public tax sectors.
With a career path that has provided him with the opportunities to lead a wide variety of tax engagements, Bob has served clients ranging from small privately-held businesses and their owners to large, complex, publicly-traded corporations and their executive team. Bob has extensive experience providing tax solutions to clients with multi-state businesses, including mergers and acquisitions, tax incentives and tax provision issues. His experience also includes tax department management service for leading distributors in the food and beverage industry in Charlotte, NC and Rochester, NY before returning to public accounting in Western New York.
Bob has assumed a leadership role in several pivotal areas of client service at Dopkins, including the Tangible Asset & Repair Study team, the Risk Advisory Services team, and the Research and Development team. Bob is also Chair of the Dopkins Wellness Committee.
Principal areas of expertise
- Large multi-state corporations and tiered partnerships
- Tangible Assets and Repairs/Cost segregation
- Wholesale and Retail trade
- Research & Development (R&D)
- Risk Management/Corporate Compliance
- Transaction Advisory Services
- Certified Public Accountant
- Wholesale trade
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, NYS Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA)
- B.S. in Accounting from Canisius College
Bob strives to remain on the pulse of industry trends and developments to assist clients. At a prior employer, Bob developed a cost segregation service offering, and also developed a tangible property and repair study service offering.
Committed to giving back to the Western New York community, Bob serves as a member of the Planning Committee for the Buffalo Polar Plunge, one of the region’s most unique community events. The Buffalo Polar Plunge has raised over one million dollars since the event’s inception, and all proceeds support programs and services provided by the Special Olympics. In addition to his Planning Committee service, Bob is also a six-time Polar Plunge participant.
- Co-Presenter, Federal Corporate & Pass Through Entity Tax Law Update, Niagara Chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants 2018 Tax Seminar (December 2018)
- Co-Presenter, Tax Reform and Mergers & Acquisitions, 65th Annual Tax Institute (November 2018)
- Speaker, Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: The Business Perspective (June 2018)
- Speaker, How will the new tax laws affect you and your business? Presented to members of the Ambulatory Surgery Center of WNY (February 2018)
- Frequent presenter at Institute of Management Accountants – Niagara Chapter Annual Tax Seminar
- Dopkins Tax Reform Video: Repatriation of Foreign Earnings
- Dopkins R&D Tax Credit Video Series Segment 1 – Introduction
- Dopkins R&D Tax Credit Video Series Segment 2 – What Qualifies as Research & Development?
- Dopkins R&D Tax Credit Video Series Segment 3 – The process
- Dopkins R&D Tax Credit Video Series Segment 4 – Qualified Research Expenses (QREs)
News & Events
- TAX REFORM: Are You Asking the Right Questions for Your Business?
- Using Retirement Planning to Qualify Your Medical Business for the Pass-Through Deduction
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Bonus Depreciation Tax Reform
- Key Tips to Minimize Tax Liability When Selling Investments
- Trump Tax Reform Update
- The IRS Giveth, the IRS Limiteth, and the IRS Taketh Away – Retail/Restaurant Remodel-Refresh Safe Harbor
- Own Tangible Property? You Should Know These 2 Regs
- TARS Update: IRS Amends Filing Requirements