Karen D. Costa
Assurance Services Group
At a glance
Karen is responsible for leading the delivery of comprehensive professional services to healthcare service providers. With 30 years of experience in public accounting, Karen has been with the Firm since 1994 and is a founding member of the Dopkins Not-for-Profit/Healthcare Team.
During her professional career, Karen has obtained a broad background in the manufacturing, construction, and general service industries. However she now specializes in accounting and operations consulting with healthcare providers receiving most of their funding from Medicaid and other third-party payors as well as New York state agencies such as the Office of Mental Health and the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services.
Principal areas of expertise
- Consolidated fiscal reports (CFRs)
- Cost reporting
- Certified Public Accountant
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, New York State Society of CPAs (NYSSCPA)
- Member, NYSSCPA Healthcare Committee
- Member, Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA)
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting, Niagara University
Awards & Achievements
- Honoree, “Health Care 50” by Business First of Buffalo (2013)
- Member, Board of Directors & Treasurer, Mental Health Association of Erie County
Karen is experienced in consulting with many different segments within the health care industry including home health, outpatient surgery centers, health care clinics, behavioral health, hospice providers and dental practices.
- Outweigh the Risks and Capitalize on the Rewards of Outsourcing
- COVID-19 – Disaster Relief is in Sight
- Not-for-profits are to pay tax on employee parking
- New Year, New Changes for for Not-For-Profit Entities
- ATTN not-for-profits: ASU 2016-14 impacts financial statements
- 4 Ways to Improve the Revenue Cycle of Healthcare Providers
- DOL Proposed Changes to Overtime Regulations
- NYS Non-Profit Revitalization Act Updated: Are You Ready?
- Is Your Employee Benefit Plan Auditor Qualified? The EBSA Has Doubts
- New York’s Non-Profit Revitalization Act of 2013 Passes