Joseph A. Heim
Dopkins ABL Consulting Services
At a glance
Mr. Heim is a Partner with the accounting firm Dopkins & Company, LLP where he has held numerous positions of leadership, including serving on the Firm’s Executive Committee and the Firm’s Leadership Group. Mr. Heim joined Dopkins in 1990, was admitted to partnership in 2006 and is responsible for Dopkins ABL Consulting Services: coordinating and supervising all aspects of field examination services throughout North America as well as administering and developing their team of ABL due diligence professionals.
Dopkins ABL Consulting Services helps commercial finance companies, banks, factors and other financial institutions improve the profitability of their loan portfolio through effective risk evaluation, collateral monitoring, and reliable and accurate field examinations. Strategically located throughout North America with full-time, experienced field examiners, the firm specializes in performing pre-loan surveys, recurring collateral field examinations and other due-diligence procedures to the ABL industry.
Mr. Heim is a Certified Fraud Examiner and a licensed Certified Public Accountant in New York. He has over 30 years of experience investigating matters involving white-collar crime, fraud and corruption. He provides forensic accounting, litigation support and expert witness services to businesses, attorneys and commercial finance lenders. He excels at detecting embezzlement and other financial irregularities. Regarding forensic accounting, he has a great deal of experience with troubled businesses, bankruptcy, operational reviews, debt restructuring, contract disputes, business valuations, and mergers and acquisitions.
He is well recognized within the ABL profession, most recently leading the design of the Field Examination Framework to assess movable property lending in Colombia, South America. The objective of the field examination framework is to advance asset-based lending and women’s access to finance in Colombia and was designed in partnership with the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Office of Gender Equality & Women’s Empowerment, USAID INVEST and the International Finance Corporation (IFC).
Previously, Heim led the revision of the course curriculum of the Secured Finance Network (formerly the Commercial Finance Association) Field Examiner School. He frequently conducts seminars and participates on industry panels on asset-based lending field examinations, due diligence, fraud and white-collar crime. He has written the firm’s asset-based lending field examination policies and procedures. He is a frequent contributor to the Secured Lender and the ABFJournal.
- B.S. in Accounting, cum laude, Canisius College
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Asset-Based Lending
- Auto Dealerships
- Commercial Finance Organizations
- Common Interest Realty Associations
- Construction Contractors
- Extractive Industries — Mining
- Pension Plans
- Not-For-Profit Organizations
- Wholesale Distributors
Principal areas of expertise
- Asset-Based Lending
- Capital Raising
- Due Diligence
- Field Examinations
- Forensic Accounting
- Fraud Investigations
- Litigation Support
- Transaction Advisory Services
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Secured Finance Network – positions currently held:
- International Finance and Development Committee
- Education Foundation Governing Board
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA) – past positions held:
- Board of Trustees – Trustee
- Chairman – Chapter Presidents Council
- Upstate New York Chapter of TMA – positions currently held:
- Board of Directors – Treasurer
- Past positions include: President, President-Elect, Director, Vice-President – Program Chair, and Vice President – Membership Chair.
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA)
- Member, Bankruptcy and Financial Reorganizations Committee
- Buffalo Chapter positions held: Director and Public Relations Chair
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- “Detect any Fraud Lately?” – NYSSCPA Young CPA’s Forum – July 2001
- “The Capital Market: Securing Credit in a Tight Market” – December 11, 2002
- “Corporate Fraud and Non-Compliance” – ABS, ABL, Leasing, & Corporate Debt/Equity Markets Conference – November 18-19, 2003
- “Fraud Workouts: Recovering Losses From Internal And External Fraud” – Upstate New York Chapter – Turnaround Management Association – February 19, 2004
- “Complying with Sarbanes-Oxley’s Section 404” – May 19, 2004
- “An Anatomy of a Fraud: How Professionals Deal With Fraud” – Turnaround Management Association’s Spring Conference – March 22 –25, 2006
- “What You Don’t Know Can Kill You: Doing Due Diligence Right” – Commercial Finance Association’s 63rd Annual Convention – November 7 – 9, 2007
- “Effective Turnarounds: A View From Accountants” – Upstate New York Chapter – Turnaround Management Association – March 20, 2008
- “Due Diligence on the Front-end instead of the Back-end” – Commercial Finance Association’s 65th Annual Convention –November 4 – 6, 2009
- July 28, 2010 – Panel Discussion (Moderator) – Is There an End to the Credit Crunch?
- November 2010 – Panel Discussion with Lawley Insurance (Speaker) – Protecting Your Business from Employee Fraud
- February 3, 2011 – Panel Discussion with JP Morgan Chase (Speaker) – Protecting Your Business from Employee Fraud
- October 16, 2019 – Panel Discussion with Secured Finance Network (Speaker) –Technology in the ABL industry.
- May 7, 2020 – Virtual Panel Discussion with Secured Finance Network (Speaker) ABL Field Examination Expectations Post COVID-19
- May 20, 2020 – Virtual Executive Forum: Reopening and Revitalization, panel discussion presented by Business First of Buffalo.
Read coverage: Thought Leaders: Help for businesses is all around
Companion article: Guide to financing options for SMEs during Covid-19
- November 9, 2020 – No Real Estate? No Problem. A Look at the Potential of Asset-Based Lending to Empower Women in Colombia
- December 10, 2020 – What Progress Have We Made to Increase Financial Inclusion through Movable Property Lending? Virtual panel discussion presented by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
- President, Clarence Hockey Club
- Treasurer, Lancaster Opera House
- Treasurer, O’Sullivan Irish Dance Academy
Mr. Heim frequently advises the leadership of asset-based lenders on the effective and efficient methods of due diligence field examinations. Recently, the managing director of a newly formed asset-based lending group of a national bank indicated that he received the mandate to move forward with an ABL platform. His bank required a “procedure manual” be put into place documenting the field examination process. Mr. Heim designed the scope of their ABL field examination procedures, workpapers and a report template that would highlight the deterioration and/or abuse of loan collateral and provide appropriate recommendations for the lender. Dopkins ABL Consulting Services has standardized the methodology of the field examination and was able to provide the lender their required “procedure manual.”
Mr. Heim has assisted business owners in identifying their working capital needs and creating effective solutions to maximize their lending relationships. Most recently, Mr. Heim analyzed the collateral base of a wholesale distributor and was able to identify additional eligible collateral and make recommendations for the applicable advance rates. Mr. Heim facilitated meetings with the business owners and their commercial lender to present his findings. As a result, the lender agreed with the findings and was able to provide the business with additional funding for growth.
Awards & Achievements
- Listed, Who’s Who in Banking and Finance, published by Business First of Buffalo
News & Events
- Joseph Heim on ABL’s Role in USAID Finance and Investment Network (December 2020)
- No Real Estate? No Problem. A Look at the Potential of Asset-Based Lending to Empower Women in Colombia, published by USAID, the world’s premier international development agency. With featured insights from Mr. Heim, the article provides an in-depth look at the role Asset Based Lending provides to female entrepreneurs where social norms and laws restrict women’s ability to control property (November 2020)
- Asset-based borrowers mostly shut out of Fed’s Main Street program, quoted in an article published by S&P Global Market Intelligence about the Federal Reserve’s Main Street Lending program (September 2020)
- Thought Leaders: Help for businesses is all around Business First of Buffalo Virtual Industry Roundtable (July 2020)
- Read Coverage of the Business First of Buffalo Executive Forum on Reopening and Revitalization featuring Joseph Heim (June 2020)
- Author, guest article: Guide to financing options for SMEs during Covid-19, published in Business First of Buffalo (May 2020)
- Joseph Heim to attend the NYIC/IFA/IFA Northeast Joint Factoring Event in NYC (March 2019)
- Dopkins to sponsor Rescue Equity and Debt: Trends in 2019 and Beyond (February 2019)
- Joseph Heim and Ryan Grosse Featured in National Commercial Finance Association Video
- Joseph Heim Appointed to Board of Directors of Turnaround Management Association – Upstate New York
- Voices from the Finance and Investment Network: a discussion on asset-based lending and best practices to members involved with the international development efforts of USAID. (December 2020)
- WATCH: Joseph Heim offers practical steps to reopen and revitalize WNY, Business First of Buffalo Executive Forum (May 2020)
- SBA EIDL Program: No Longer Granting Advances. Favorable Loans Still Being Granted
- Federal Reserve to Expand Main Street Lending Program to Nonprofits
- Recalculating…Route Guidance Changes for MSLP and Supports More Businesses
- Start Stretching! The Paycheck Protection Program is Getting More Flexible!
- Set your GPS! Directions to the Main Street Lending Program are Preparing to Calculate Soon!
- As seen in Business First of Buffalo: Guide to financing options for SMEs during Covid-19
- More businesses eligible for funds under expanded Main Street Lending Program
- Start with Dopkins & Company for your Buffalo and Erie County RDC COVID-19 Disaster Loan
- Sole Proprietors and Independent Contractors – How to Secure Funding from the Paycheck Protection Program
- Franchise, Restaurant and Hotel Owners Receive Guidance on Paycheck Protection Program
- New Main Street Lending Program Boosts Business Owners
- Critical Information for your PAYCHECK PROTECTION PROGRAM under the CARES Act
- How to do I qualify for the $10MM SBA loan and have it Forgiven?
- Business Owners will secure new financing under the CARES Act
- Information on Financing solutions under the $2 Trillion Coronavirus Stimulus Package
- Federal Contract Receivable Financing: An Overview on Collateral Eligibility from Dopkins ABL Consulting Services
- Feel the Churn: Understanding Recurring Revenue as the New Collateral